35th YEU Convention 2016- CALL FOR CORE TEAM MEMBERS, FACILITATORS AND PARTICIPANTS
We would like to invite to take part in the 35th International Youth Convention which will focus on raising awareness on European values. This call invites you to apply either for member of Core Team, Facilitator or Participant. Before your decision, let us introduce the event:
Dates: July 22nd to July 30th 2016
The core team members and facilitators are expected to arrive on the 20st of July 2016.
Facilitators are expected to depart on the 31st of July 2016.
Core Team is expected to depart on the 1st of August 2016.
The participants are expected to arrive on the 22nd of July and depart on the 30th of July 2016.
Before the Convention, an Advanced Planning Visit of the Core Team and facilitators will be held in June 2016. The Advanced Planning Visit (prep meeting) will take place in Brussels, Belgium from June 11th to June 14th (preferable dates) orfrom June 19th to June 22nd. Facilitators and Core Team will be asked to attend the APV in order to plan and prepare all activities and sessions for the exchange (please remember that facilitators will also be in charge of delivering sessions and they will split other organizational tasks during the event).
Members of Core team: 5
People involved: 45 young people
Title: Europe from Scratch
Youth for Exchange and Understanding (YEU) is an International Non-Governmental Youth Organization established in 1986 and member of the European Youth Forum in Brussels as an INGYO. YEU looks forward to increase tolerance and awareness between different countries, cultures and traditions, and to promote a greater level of comprehension through the development of various youth activities.
The main aim of YEU is to promote peace, understanding and co-operation between the young people of the world, in a spirit of respect for human rights. YEU is a non-profit making youth organization independent of all political affiliation, run by young people for young people by means of a democratic structure. Visit our website for more details about YEU: http://www.yeu-international.org/
ABOUT THE CONVENTION
The Convention will take place between 22-30 of July 2016 in 3 selected venues in Belgium.
The countries included are Austria, Cyprus, Greece, Italy, Lithuania, FYROM/Macedonia, Portugal, Poland,Turkey and United Kingdom gathering 55 young people from YEU member organizations. Call is open also for other YEU Member Organizations within certain travel costs limits! Feel free to apply! If you want to know your travel costs limits, contact YEU Administrative office.
The aim of the convention is to challenge youngsters with various ways in order to reflect together on how to re-create Europe from scratch (which values, which roots, which principles: what to keep and what to change?) and on how to manage this new-born European community.
IYC16 will lead participants to reflect together on what to keep and what to change, and finally to elaborate an agenda for the future of Europe (a youth perspective on the future of Europe). All the activities that will be carried out during Convention will be based on non-formal education methods and experiential outdoor education.
When we think of the word “youth”, specially in Europe, the first things we associate it with are energy, creativity, passion and enthusiasm. Yet, there is another side of this coin as well; inactivity, disappointment, resignation and indignation. And unfortunately, there is a big percentage of young people in Europe -and even the majority in some European countries- that represent the negative one. In order to face all the over mentioned criticisms, but also to be able to tackle future challenges and arising questions, it is necessary to start from the sense of “belonging” in Europe and from the idea of Europe as a shared identity and values. The development of European identity, in fact, is an unfinished business which risks to jeopardize the concept of Europe itself and that has to be addressed: is a common European identity possible? what are the values and ideals that bring us together as European citizens and how can we awake and embed them in us? How does this affect the young people and their inclusion and participation?
The objectives of the Convention are the following:
•to investigate current trends and issues in Europe, above all those more closely affecting young people, youth workers and youth organizations;
•to identify and create tools and methodologies that will help youth organizations to deal with a changing Europe and with future scenarios;
•to give young people the opportunity to recreate Europe from scratch, and therefore reflect on values/ideals, objectives, frameworks, institutions, relationships at the base of it;
•to spread the information and increase awareness on the future of Europe by creating and disseminating a shared “Agenda for future of Europe”.
Non-formal education methods will be used throughout the youth exchange as we strongly believe in its power to develop the competences of young people. In this process of learning, there are no teachers and students. The activities are organized according to the needs of the participants while the sharing of experiences in healthy environments of trust and mutual respect is encouraged.
ACCOMMODATION and FINANCES
YEU International will cover all costs related to accommodation. It will also cover 100% of travel costs if it is the cheapest way from the resident country. 100% of visa costs will be reimbursed. The CT members are obliged to have receipts of the ticket, boarding pass and invoices of credit card that was used for buying the tickets for online payments. All CT members will be reimbursed after the event by bank transfer.
YEU International will cover all costs related to accommodation. It will also cover 70% of travel costs if it is the cheapest way from the resident country. 100% of visa costs will be reimbursed. The Facilitators are obliged to have receipts of the ticket, boarding pass and invoices of credit card that was used for buying the tickets for online payments. All Facilitators will be reimbursed after the event by bank transfer.
To participate in the IYC16, there is a participation fee of 50 euros. YEU International will cover all costs related to accommodation. It will also cover 70% of travel costs if it is the cheapest way from the resident country. 100% of visa costs will be reimbursed. The Participants are obliged to have receipts of the ticket, boarding pass and invoices of credit card that was used for buying the tickets for online payments. All Participants will be reimbursed after the event by bank transfer.
DETAILS ON CORE TEAM AND FACILITATORS:
Core Team (CT) is an International Team which will take over the educational part of the Convention. The Core Team members need to have experience and expertise both on the topic of the convention and in non-formal education. They need to prepare the session outlines for the participants but also guide the facilitators who will take over the work in small groups of people (called village groups). The Core Team has a coordinator selected from applicants for Core team (the leader responsible for the programme of the event).
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CORE TEAM
The main responsibilities of Core Team are to work together on the development, implementation and evaluation (including reporting) of the event.
The responsibilities of the Core team are:
• CT is responsible to ensure the educational dimension and the intercultural learning atmosphere of the convention
• CT must participate in APV and is responsible to have online preparatory meetings and prepare the session outlines of the programme
• CT is responsible to guide the facilitators. The facilitators will facilitate the learning of small working groups, called village groups, in sporadic phases of the programme
• CT takes care of the implementation of the programme, insuring the educational elements, the programme flow and the elaboration of outcomes of participants work
• CT must evaluate the progress of the programme and make sure that the objectives stated are achieved and the foreseen results achieved
• CT must contribute to the elaboration of the final report to funding bodies
• CT is also responsible for the dissemination of the outcomes of the events throughout YEU network, through articles written in the YEU website and newsletter. Such articles must elaborate on the learning impact of the theme development and highlight the particular situations which would have arisen during the event and the merits and demerits of the methods used
• CT takes over the finalization of the policy paper after the convention
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE FACILITATORS
• Attend APV, where they have to participate fully and assist with tasks related to the Convention (plan and prepare activities and sessions for the exchange and help with other organizational tasks);
• Methodology: to be prepared with all materials (facilitators handbook and recommended literature) before the event;
• Programme: to carry over all program of village groups together with one’s pair to help core team in implementing programme of the all event;
• Daily reports: to motivate one’s village group to write daily report to stimulate participants to take active role in activities to collect and present all relevant information about daily activities;
• Daily programme: to make sure that all participants are informed in advance about the following daily activities;
• Materials: to take care about given materials: (flip charts, pens, pencils, markers, paper, adhesive tapes, etc.)
• Outcomes: to collect the results of one’s group work for the final report
• Image feedback: to take care about visual documentation of your groups work (photos and videos of all activities)
• Time keepers and cleaning team: to take care about duties of one’s village group duties for waking up, cleaning, etc. according to agreed daily division of the tasks.
• Other : to be good example for participants to take responsibilities and initiative to play as a team member and support core team as well other facilitators to be resource of positive energy
YEU Staff member has the last word in all decisions to be taken as long as they respect the values and aims of YEU and s/he must ensure that these values and aims are present and respected by all teams members.
Core Team Coordinator is responsible for the team management and coordination. S/he has to have the previous experience in YEU activities.
Important detail: CT members must be present for the whole exchange and also preparation, evaluation and follow up duties. Facilitators must be present for the whole exchange and also preparation and evaluation.
The Core Team members and Facilitators are requested to attend the APV and the preparatory meeting before the convention starts:
- 11th or 19th of June: Arrival of core team’s members and facilitators.
- 14th or 22nd of June: Departure of core team’s members and facilitators.
*Preparatory meeting before the convention starts:
- 20th of July: arrivals of Core Team and Facilitators;
- 31st of July is the day of facilitator’s departure;
- 1st of August is the day of core team’s members departure.
Interested to apply? Apply here until May 25th 2016, 23:59 CET.