Empowering through storytelling - CALL FOR TRAINERS
YEU is opening a call for 1 senior trainer, 1 junior trainer and 1 organizer who will participate in the realization of International training course called “Empowering Through Storytelling”, in the month of October 2015.
The main reason for carrying out this project is to empower young people through storytelling. Stories are a basic human need. They are important, they make us more alive, more courageous, more inspired. They have a big influence in shaping the personality of an individual.
We believe that story telling is a method worth to be spread among youth organizations. The overall aim of this project is to increase the competences of youth workers in using storytelling as a tool to reach, motivate and inspire young people.
Main Activity: International training course “Empowering through storytelling”
Dates: October 24th-November 3rd 2015 (TRAVEL DATES ARE INCLUDED)
Place: Brussels and surroundings of Brussels
Who is involved : 22 participants
Objectives of the programme are:
-To explore the concept of storytelling and different techniques about it
-To understand how youth workers can use storytelling in non-formal education activities during their work
-To encourage youth workers to share their own stories (personal/professional)
-To develop their personal and professional skills of the youth workers by learning how to deal with emotions, discovering more about themselves and advocating for a sustainable future for the target group of people they work with.
YEU, together with partners, will focus on:
Storytelling as a process of making people listen, think critically, share, interpret, enhance the vital skills of communication, and analyze the experiences. The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell to the audience how to think, but to stimulate their brain by given questions. Furthermore, according to some researchers (“What listening to a story does to your brain” https://blog.bufferapp.com/science-of-storytelling-why-telling-a-story-is-the-most-powerful-way-to-activate-our-brains by Leo Widrich), storytelling is a way to keep our brain alive, active and receptive. When we share stories with others, it helps us to shape our thinking, reflect about ourselves, our way of life and eventually acquire valuable knowledge. Storytelling it is a journey that takes the audience somewhere on time, it is a journey that requires courage. The person that is telling a story (the storyteller), simply by the fact that is telling it, can pass ideas, thoughts and emotions into the listener’s brain with an informal approach. Storytelling is a crucial communication strategy and a powerful method for anyone that wishes to use it. It motivates, inspires and leads people into the future, having the courage to make changes (http://www.stchangg.com/blog/why-stories-are-so-important/) Storytelling it is a process that enables youth organizations to achieve a personal and professional development of the young people they work with.
- The importance of storytelling for youth organizations because it is an essential tool to embody the change they are seeking for. Storytelling is often the best way for youth organizations to communicate with the young people that they are working with and understand their needs. It is the best way to motivate young people to be more active, more involved and engaged in social and democratic life. It is the best way to empower them to stand on their own feet, find their way to labour market and enhance their competences.
Result of the project:
As the result of the project, a video about storytelling will be developed. The video will explain what storytelling is, how it can be used, some stories shared during the training course, relevant limitations of the method and lessons learned behind stories. The video will be disseminated on YEU’s facebook page, youtube channel, twitter account, website and monthly news mail.
In addition to that, the participant of the training course will develop an action plan with follow up activities that the participants will carry out when going back in their countries using the method of storytelling.
-youth workers, NGO representatives, volunteers and trainers who are willing to share their own stories, experiences, willing to get involved in self-directed learning process. The participants of this project will be willing and motivated to apply the method of storytelling in their sending organizations as a tool to empower, inspire young people that they are working to take further steps and discover new things about themselves.
Project will engage as well, participants with fewer opportunities on the terms of facing: social or economic obstacles to be involved.
Which competences are to be improved by participants in this project?
During the project, participants will have the chance to acquire/improved knowledge such as:
-Participants will explore the topic of storytelling and how stories can be a powerful tool to bring social change
-Participants will be able to discover and understand about their own potential and get inspired, motivated, empowered from each story shared
-Participants will be able to apply the knowledge learned in their organization while working with young people by understanding that each person has special needs and empower everyone in their work
-Participants will learn how to prepare and implement national action plans
As well they will acquire/improve attitudes such as:
-Overcoming the fears, stigma and mind limitations
-Establishing a positive thinking and attitude about life situations that happen around
-Having the belief in themselves and the ability to make changes on themselves
-Increasing the self-confidence and self-empowerment
-Tolerance towards people’s different cultural backgrounds
- Motivation to inspire young people through the method of storytelling
-Improving their knowledge about Erasmus+ Programme
All the methods used during the training course will be based on non-formal education activities, where all the participants will have the opportunity to be actively involved, discuss, share, learn from each other, critically reflect and get the best out from this training course.
Fee for senior trainer is 100 EUR per day, gross amount. Fee for junior trainer is 30 EUR per day, gross amount. Fee for organizer is 80 EUR per day, gross amount. If selected, all the details including YEU Golden rules, junior support, deadlines, tasks and conditions will be stated in the contract between trainers/organizer and YEU. Travel costs within travel costs limits and visa costs (if any) are covered by YEU 100%.
Trainers` and organizers` profile (Priority will be given to those that most closely meet these criteria and to members of the YEU PET):
• Have knowledge and experience on topics covered by the training (for trainers);
• Have experience in organizing international youth events (for organizers);
• Are willing to collaborate and work for the benefit of the project with respect of deadlines set by YEU
• Senior trainer needs to be able and ready to mentor junior trainer
• Are proficient users of English language
Responsibilities of the Trainers:
• To have regular online meetings with other trainers and the project coordinator in order to plan the training;
• To develop the latest version of the daily programme latest 2 weeks before the trainings;
• To develop the relevant session outlines latest 2 weeks before the trainings;
• To be present at the trainings and implement their tasks in a collective way;
• To have daily evaluation with the project coordinator during the training;
• To prepare a final report which needs to be submitted to the project coordinator latest 3 weeks after the training
• To support development of the idea for the final video of the training course (technical knowledge of shooting and editing is not needed)
• Senior trainer needs to provide support to junior trainer and work on development of junior’s skills during the preparation and in the training providing with relevant learning experience.
Responsibilities of the Organizer:
• communicate with YEU project coordinator on regular basis regarding details of the Programme
• communicate with partner organizations regarding selection of participants and their attendance
• take care of all logistical issues and work closely with YEU project coordinator on details
• take care of visibility of the events/Programme together with YEU project coordinator
• take care of photo and video recordings during the training course
• take care about travel documents of participants (originals and copies) including electronic form in the template provided by YEU
Application form is here.