Call for trainers and organizer: RESTART - rethinking, assessing, activating and evaluating youth organizations
YEU is opening a call for trainers (2 seniors and 1 junior) and organizer (1) who will participate in realization of the one-year programme called “RESTART: rethinking, assessing, activating and evaluating youth organizations” supported by European Youth Foundation.
Youth participation has been decreasing in previous years. Young people tend to lean towards new forms of participation, but non-formal education has been having difficulties to adjust to newly developed needs of youth around Europe using more or less the same formats and methodologies, youth organizations are facing less and less young people in their activities.
The aim of the workplan is to raise the capacities of youth organizations on new approaches to quality education provided to learners in order to improve and increase youth participation in socio-political life on local level.
- to develop sustainable approaches for boosting youth participation;
- to improve and raise quality of non-formal education by introducing quality assurance framework to everyday work of youth initiatives on local level;
- to develop competences of youth workers for improving cooperation with policy makers on local level;
- to develop recommendations on improving impact of youth-led activities/initiatives and cross-sector cooperation on local level
Eligible countries: Member States of Council of Europe.
Target groups are:
Direct: Youth workers active in local communities around Europe with certain level of experience in youth-led initiatives (20 youth workers from 10 countries)
Indirect: young people from local communities; policy makers from local communities
During one year process, YEU together with partners and youth workers will be discussing and increasing: youth participation on local level, and by doing so, raising the capacities of their own organizations to gather young people around their idea and keep the legacy; quality of the events/activities they are offering to youth from their communities-only quality and needs based events can motivate young people to get involved in society and influence it.
We believe that without young people active on local level, it is almost impossible to make changes on European level. Endorsing a bottom-up approach will let Youth organizations need to listen to the needs of youth and later on embed them into policies as well as educational programmes. By rethinking youth participation and methodologies of involving youth and providing quality in education, we believe that we can create multiplying effect on local level – more young people involved and trained to actively participate in building and functioning of society they live in.
Phases: What are you committing to?
Activity one: “Rethinking participation”
Venue: Istanbul, Turkey 11-18.04.2016
Training Course “Rethinking participation” will be the first Activity in one year process of capacity building of 10 organizations around Europe to better understand the needs of youth, boost the participation and cooperation on local level, organize quality events and achieve sustainable impact.
The main idea give is to give organizations good understanding on how the process of engaging young people should be coordinated from the very beginning without leaving young people with feeling that activities were done just for the reporting, somebody else’s needs or even worse, to feel used.
The main result of Activity 1 are 10 action plans: each organization participating will prepare the basis for Activity 2 follow up: type of activity they want to do that is related to specific problem in their local community, which participation forms/methods will be used to involve young people in socio-political life of local community and, if possible and relevant, cooperation with local authorities.
Activity two: “Discuss - Evidence - Assess”
Venue: Brussels, Belgium 25.05.2016
Aim of the training course is to develop youth workers skills and competences to implement quality education by using QA indicators in local communities in order to make themselves more accountable to youth as beneficiaries and other stakeholders as partners.
The training will tackle some of the following topics: What does quality mean? What does it mean for you and your organization? What is a desirable outcome? What mechanisms are there to monitor the learning process of your participants? The way the resources are allocated, managed and used; the way the project is planned, implemented and evaluated; and how the human, organizational and technical capacity are provided and used in all that matters related to the success of your activity.
The process of quality assurance aims to provide organisations with tools for growth and self-improvement, and to serve as a clear signal to external stakeholders and society that Quality Education is a priority for youth organisations.
To get to know examples of good practice as well as the reasons for implementing the quality assurance, we will organize a visit to European Youth Forum and some other international youth organizations to hear their experiences and understand how the implementation of this framework has contributed to improvement of quality of educational activities they are realizing. This is why training will be held in Brussels – to get to know the process, its policy aspects and how they affect the understanding of work of youth organizations and their accountability.
Activity three: “Re-activate local communities”
Venue: Local communities
Follow up of the Activity 2 is called “Re-activate local communities” and it will be implemented in 10 youth organizations around Europe with following objectives:
i. To implement local activities in accordance with action plans by involving youth from local communities;
ii. to boost youth participation in general in local socio-political life by initiating different actions/initiatives that will improve position of youth in local communities;
iii. to provide quality nonformal education to local youth with long-lasting effect.
Each activity will have a budget available (500 EUR per action, where partners will have to provide at least 1/3 more of this amount: up to 750 EUR in total). Each activity will have a video created as illustration with phootage from actions, interviews with local youth, policy makers, organization and its youth workers. Videos will be a showcase of the follow-up but also the whole workplan.
Activity four: “Evaluate to improve”
Venue: Mollina, Spain 20.09 – 28.09.2016
This will be an evaluation seminar/training course as youth workers from partner organizations will evaluate the whole process: did we achieve what we wanted, are our capacities and competences improved now, did we learn from each other and what, how can we follow up on the whole process and what would we do better/different.
It will be held in Molina, Spain, during the University on Youth and Development which is gathering 10 different training courses and approximately 300 young people from all around Europe as well as the world.
One of the focuses of 4th Activity will be drafting recommendations as one of main results of this process. Recommendations will serve to support other youth organizations planning to, first of all, do self-assessment of their work and then to improve the quality of education they are offering as well as level of participation in local communities.
We are aiming at hiring the team for the whole duration of the programme – 2 training courses, 1 local activity and 1 evaluation seminar. Trainers and organizers should apply for the programme as a whole.
Trainers` and organizers` profile (Priority will be given to those that most closely meet these criteria and to members of the YEU PET):
• Have knowledge and experience on topics covered by the training (for trainers);
• Have experience in organizing international youth events (for organizers);
• Are willing to collaborate and work for the benefit of the project with respect of deadlines set by YEU
• Senior trainers need to be able and ready to mentor junior trainer
• Are proficient users of English language
• Members of YEU PET will have a priority
Responsibilities of the Trainers:
• To have regular online meetings with other trainers and the project coordinator in order to plan the trainings;
• To develop the latest version of the daily programme latest 2 weeks before the trainings;
• To develop the relevant session outlines latest 2 weeks before the trainings;
• To be present at the trainings and implement their tasks in a collective way;
• To have daily evaluation with the project coordinator during the training;
• To prepare a final report which needs to be submitted to the project coordinator latest 3 weeks after the training
• To actively work on preparations of recommendations as described in the call.
• Senior trainers need to provide support to junior trainer and work on them on development of their skills during the preparation and in the training providing them with relevant learning experience.
Responsibilities of the Organizer:
• communicate with YEU project coordinator on regular basis regarding details of the Programme
• communicate with partner organizations regarding selection of participants and their attendance
• follow closely and communicate with partner organizations regarding Activity 3 outcomes
• take care of all logistical issues and work closely with YEU project coordinator on details
• take care of visibility of the events/Programme together with YEU project coordinator
• take care about travel documents of participants (originals and copies) including electronic form in the template provided by YEU
Fee for senior trainer is 110 EUR per day, gross amount. Fee for junior trainer is 30 EUR per day, gross amount. Fee for organizer is 80 EUR per day, gross amount. If selected, all the details including YEU Golden rules, junior support, deadlines, tasks and conditions will be stated in the contract between trainers/organizer and YEU. Travel costs within travel costs limits and visa costs (if any) are covered by YEU 100%.
In order to apply click here.
YEU Administrative Office