CALL FOR CORE TEAM MEMBERS for 33rd International Youth Convention
We would like to invite to take part in the core team of the 33rd International Youth Convention which will focus on advocating and lobbying for green sustainability. Before your decision, let us introduce the event:
DATES: 30 July - 7 August. The core team members are expected to arrive on the 26th of July and depart on the 9th of August 2014
TITLE: Advocacy for sustainability
ORGANIZER: YEU International
YOUNG PEOPLE INVOLVED: 30 young people
ELIGIBLE COUNTRIES: All YEU member organizations
The 33rd International Youth Convention (IYC14) will be a 9 working days event which will take place in Belgium, gathering 30 young people from YEU member organizations. The main aim is to develop the competences of the participants regarding sustainable development and its importance nowadays. It will mainly focus on how to advocate for the sustainable development on local, national and international level. In addition, a policy paper on sustainable development and youth work will be prepared during the convention that will be used for advocating on all mentioned levels.
IYC14 will empower the participants to take a proactive role and use fully the potentials of advocating and lobbying to promote the concept of sustainable development. All the activities that will be carried out during the convention will be based on non-formal education methods and experiential outdoor education.
In the recent years, the importance of sustainable and green development has been raised. The youth organizations should also focus on this area and become more environmental friendly. At the same time, there is a need to spread this idea to other stakeholders.
- To explore the concept of sustainable development
- To acquire competences related to advocating on local, national and international level
- To prepare a policy paper on sustainable development and youth work advocating on all mentioned levels
We intend to use a variety of methods based on non-formal education: inputs from the facilitators and experts, simulations and role plays, intercultural learning as a process present throughout the project, brainstorming, energizers, YEU eurogames2010, discussions and creative thinking (both in small groups and in plenary), input from participants. We also want to feel closer to the nature and experience a lot of outdoor activities. We believe that NFE, as an active participation based learning process, will help to reach the objectives and has the quality to involve different actors from the educative relation in an education-learning process. Furthermore, the NFE methodology is an inclusive approach in its very sense as with the full commitment for the learning process, one can reach the learning objectives despite the educational, cultural or social background.
Core Team (CT) is an International Team which will take over the educational part of the Convention. The Core Team members need to have experience and expertise both on the topic of the convention and in non-formal education. They need to prepare the session outlines for the participants but also guide the facilitators who will take over the work in small groups of people (called village groups). The Core Team has one coordinator chosen from beside all applicants for Core team (the leader responsible for the programme of the event).
The main responsibilities of Core Team are to work together on the development, implementation and evaluation (including reporting) of the event.
The responsibilities of the Core team are:
- CT is responsible to ensure the educational dimension and the intercultural learning atmosphere of the convention
- CT is responsible to have online preparatory meetings and prepare the session outlines of the programme
- CT is responsible to guide the facilitators. The facilitators will facilitate the learning of small working groups, called village groups, in sporadic phases of the programme
- CT takes care of the implementation of the programme, insuring the educational elements, the programme flow and the elaboration of outcomes of participants work
- CT must evaluate the progress of the programme and make sure that the objectives stated are achieved and the foreseen results achieved
- CT must contribute to the elaboration of the final report to funding bodies
- CT is also responsible for the dissemination of the outcomes of the events throughout YEU network, through articles written in the YEU website and newsletter. Such articles must elaborate on the learning impact of the theme development and highlight the particular situations which would have arisen during the event and the merits and demerits of the methods used
- CT takes over the finalization of the policy paper after the convention
YEU Staff member has the last word in all decisions to be taken as long as they respect the values and aims of YEU and s(he) must insure that these values and aims are present and respected by both teams members:
Core Team Coordinator is responsible for the team management and coordination. S(he) necessary has to have the previous experience in YEU activities.
Important details: CT members must be present for the whole exchange and also preparation, evaluation and follow up duties.
The core team members are requested to attend the training before the convention starts:
- 26thth of July arrival of the core team
- 27th of July (afternoon) arrivals of the facilitators;
- 28th – 29th of July – training on the program and methods lead by core team;
- 8th of August is the day of facilitators’ & participants’ departure;
- 9th of August is the day of core team members departure
ACCOMODATION and FINANCES
YEU International will cover all costs related to accommodation. It will also cover 100% of travel costs if it is the cheapest way from the resident country. 100% of visa costs will be reimbursed. The CT members are obliged to have receipts of the ticket, boarding pass and invoices of credit card that was used for buying the tickets for online payments. All CT members will be reimbursed after the event by bank transfer.
PROFILE OF CORE TEAM (priority will be given to those that most closely meet this criteria.
- Have an experience and expertise in the topic of sustainable development;
- Have previously worked with the topic of advocacy
- Are well aware of NFE methods
- Are able to work in English;
- Are committed to work for the successful implementation of the convention;
HOW WILL THE SELECTION BE CARRIED OUT?
CT members will be selected by YEU on the basis of their applications
In order to apply for the Core Team of the International Youth Convention 2014, please follow the link below. The deadline for applications is the 29th June, midnight, CET.
In case you need any clarifications, you can contact Eleni at firstname.lastname@example.org
All the best,