The neighborhood goes farming!
MOJU together with their volunteers and young kids accepted one of the challenges of our social project “Mais Sucesso E5G” (More Success). In February we started the project “Bairro vai à Horta” (Neighborhood goes farming), which consists of the creation of an ecological farm.
This land was given by the municipality of Olhão together with the “Ecoteca” and we began with a basic training in organic farming promoted by the association “In Loco”.
This initiative pretends to develop several competences:
- To develop pedagogical involvement of young people in the act of planting their own food;
- To enhance organic farming;
- To encourage healthy lifestyles;
- To acquire more sustainable consumption practices;
- To promote food autonomy in families;
- To increase awareness of environmental and social responsibilities.
In short, this project intends to involve children and young people in the dynamic process of growing vegetables for the community consumption and to support our cooking workshops.
Finally, we are all excited and eager to begin harvesting our vegetables and make great salads and soups.